City of Sapporo > Child Care/Education > Single-parent families

Main content starts here.

Update:April 2, 2018

Single-parent families

Child-care allowances (jido fuyo teate)

Child-care allowances are offered to parents or guardians who are not sharing income due to divorce or other factors while raising children until the end of the first March after the child’s 18th birthday (19 years old or younger for children with disabilities). There are income-based limitations. Allowance is issued from the month following completion of application procedures. Visit your local ward office (page. for details.

Welfare funds for single-parent families and widows (boshi kafu fukushi shikin)

The City of Sapporo provides loans where necessary to support the financial independence of single-parent families and widows.

Assistance in medical fees for single-parent faimilies and orphans

For children of single-parent families and orphans under the age of 20, and the parent of single-parent families who are subscribed to a public medical insurance, part of the medical fees not covered by the insurance will be subsidized. The amount subsidized will vary depending on the age of the child or the income of the parent (in the event that the income of the parent is deemed sufficient, subsidies may be provided). Furthermore, the parent will only be granted subsidy for hospitalization and home-visit nursing. 

Apply beforehand at your respective Ward Office to recieve the "Eligibility for renumeration of medical fees for single-parent families and orphans" card. Present this card together with your health insurance card when you visit the hospital.  

Sapporo City Call Center TEL: 011-222-4894 FAX: 011-211-4894 (See page